Thursday, July 2, 2009

Kitchen Cleaning Tip

Baking soda, vinegar & a lint-free cloth

I recently got a flat top electric stove. I really want a gas stove, but that will be in my next house. When I bought the stove I didn't know special cleaning supplies are recommended; I later read about the products in the manual. Before I got around to ordering them or going back to the store, I learned to use baking soda & vinegar. The baking soda tip was first given to me by a friend; I got the vinegar tip in a book, Green Up Your Clean Up.


I dampen the top of my stove with a wet sponge and sprinkle on the baking soda. Green Up suggests, “For tough stains, make a paste of baking soda and dish soap, and cover the stain for 10 minutes” (page 86). I use the rough side of a sponge to clean, the soft side to rinse, then splash a little vinegar on and rub 'til it shines with a lint-free towel.

Dish soap is also helpful for grease and using baking soda in this way is also great for skillets and baking dishes with stubborn stains. Vinegar works well on any glass (page 35).

I tried the Scotch-Brite Cleaner that looks like it performs miracles in commercials, but I thought it still needed a finishing polish; I rather stay green.

Share your favorite tip.