Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Homemade Marzipan!

What an experience. Not really difficult, worth the experience once, not sure yet if it's worth a second time. A recipe is below.

My memory of marzipan goes back to mid-elementary school when my neighbor and I stopped in his kitchen. He reached to the top of the fridge, pulled something down, took a little bit, offered me some, and I "discovered" one of the best things I ever tasted: marzipan. It's common in Europe; my neighbor's father was from Hungary.

It's not as mouth watering as I remember, but it's okay with me that ground almonds and powdered sugar alone don't taste quite as good now that I'm older.

Creating the items was fun, but it would be more enjoyable with a friend, on a relaxed weekend, and with an idea of what I would actually do with them (perhaps cupcake decorations). It is very rewarding to try a recipe I've had for years.

On to serious notes:
1. Make sure you have food coloring that is still fresh and the colors you want. I mixed it with my dough and found ideas for shapes, but the next time I would like to use a "painting" technique.

2. If you are just experimenting, make a 1/2 batch.


3. To blanch almonds, make sure the water is truly boiling
, not somewhere between a simmer and a boil. I had better luck dropping the almonds into the boiling water than pouring the water over the almonds. These two things made a HUGE difference.

4. Try shaping the marzipan into a sphere or other simple shape and dip them in chocolate for a candy.

5.
If I try marzipan again, I think I will try this recipe. I think it provides slightly better instructions and information for decorating and storing.

European Style Marzipan (to top)
[Source unknown: I copied this recipe before I ever thought about recording recipe sources.]
(Use small cutters, molds, fingers, & imagination to shape the marzipan, as European children do.)

1 cup blanched or 1 1/3 cup slivered almonds
1 1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 /2 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 slightly beaten egg white

-Place almonds in food processor or blender.
-Cover & blend/process till ground.
-In bowl, combine ground nuts, 1 1/3 c. powdered sugar, almond extract & 2 T. water; beat with mixer till ball forms.
-Gradually add 2 1/4 c. powdered sugar, beating [or using hands] till combined. Stir in enough egg white (approximately 1 T.) to form a clay-like mixture.
-Tint with food coloring, if desired.
-Mold or shape as desired, using about 2 t. for each shape.
(Makes 2 c. mixture)