Thursday, July 9, 2009

Apricot Galette recipe

After making rhubarb crisp, I wondered about the difference between a crisp, crumble, and buckle. Recipetips.com offers a thorough explanation of many fruit desserts, but not for the particular type of fruit pastry I once made but couldn't find in my files. After trying to figure out its name, I finally gave a wild shot searching for "dessert with fruit and crust around edge." It actually led me to what I wanted: galette. (to recipe)



Some recipes are the type of dessert I remembered; some look more like a fruit pizza. I saved the recipes with the folded over crust, the type I remembered.

Since it's apricot season at my house, I wanted an apricot galette recipe. Unfortunately, most of the apricots ripen and fall before my husband and I can pick and make good use of them. Finding the galette recipe and enjoying any apricots is a victory.

I found two recipes for what I wanted: Apricot & Peach Galette and Rustic California Apricot Galette. I favored different aspects of each so I mixed and matched to create my own. I loved how my kitchen smelled like a bakery while it was in the oven, but I liked the way it tasted more after it was completely cool.

Rachel's Apricot Galette (to top)

Pastry
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
4 tablespoons cornmeal
3 tablespoons sugar
pinch of salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold butter, cut into pieces
3-4 tablespoons buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
buttermilk or beaten egg for crust glaze

Filling
11 apricots
1/3 cup brown sugar
1-2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons flour

Make dough: Combine flours, cornmeal, sugar, & salt in small bowl. Cut in cold butter using a pastry blender until it has a crumb-like texture. Add vanilla and buttermilk, a little at a time. Mix with your hands until it comes together in a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Make filling:
While pasty is chilling, combine fruit and brown sugar in a bowl. Add enough flour to absorb the juices. Set aside to let flavors blend.

Form galette:
Place dough on lightly floured surface; roll out to approximately 14". Spoon filling into center leaving 2" around edge. Fold up edges to create a rough rim, leaving the center uncovered. Brush the dough edges with buttermilk or egg.

Cooking galette:
Cook 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown and bubbly. Remove from oven; sprinkle the apricots with almonds. Return to oven; bake approximately 10 more minutes until almonds are lightly browned and pastry is cooked. Cool and serve warm or at room temperature.

Note:
Baking911.com writes that the galette dough can be prepared ahead of time until ready for use and filling can be refrigerated for up to three days or frozen for up to three months.